There’s nothing wrong with roughing up your boots, but when possible you should try and keep them looking good. I have had an on going problem with indigo running onto suede/rough-out and for awhile could not find a good way to get it off. I finally went to the experts themselves and stopped in my local Redwings store. My pal Bob, who has owned the shop for the last 20+ years, and has never steered me wrong before – suggested the suede eraser/bristle brush to remove the indigo stains from my work oxfords. Here’s the result, along with how to do it.
Stuff you’ll need: Redwing Nubuck/Suede eraser + brush, water, your hands.
- Clean the surface of your boots; remove any dirt/salt on them that will come off using the bristle brush.
- Dip the end of the suede eraser into water.
- Brush the spots you want to treat with the suede eraser.
- Using the bristle brush, scrub the area thoroughly. At this point you should see the stains removed completely, or at least less visible.
- Re-apply the suede eraser until the surface is clean.
- Brush the excess eraser dust off.
- Put them back on.